Re: [TowerTalk] 8 pin rotor quick disconnects

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 8 pin rotor quick disconnects
From: Bill Turner <wrt@dslextreme.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:18:11 -0700
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:38:30 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>    I've never been able to get an M2 Orion rotator mast clamp to stay tight
>for very long so I've started pinning them too. My opinion is that the bolts
>stretch so no matter how secure the nuts are, the mast is eventually gonna
>slip
>:-(

Several years ago Loctite put out an engineering bulletin explaining
how bolts and nuts that are fully tightened can still work loose when
the load varies, especially when thrust is perpendicular to the bolt
axis.  Essentially, the bolt "levers" the nut loose over a period of
time, regardless of whether lockwashers are used or not.

Their solution, of course, was to use Loctite threadlocker, and my
experience is that it does work.  I'm retired from the avionics
business and when something had to stay tight absolutely, Loctite was
mandatory.  At least in our applications, I've never know it to fail.

--
73, Bill W7TI