Re: [TowerTalk] RFI resolution

To: <davec@netdave.com>, "'TowerTalk'" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RFI resolution
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:30:50 -0700
> Thanks Roger, that's seems like very good advice to me. My neighbor
doesn't
> care to have me in her house "inspecting" her home, and I don't
particularly
> want to see it either. Who knows, maybe Norman Bates lives in her attic.
>
> So who might these "professionals" be? It would be nice to have someone do
> the work while I'm here at the shack to key the mic for tests.

Since you're not paying, you could refer her to the yellow pages, etc.
(Don't want her claiming you referred her to a "shill"...)  It's a bunch
o'bucks, and it's not necessarily the optimum solution, but referring her to
a Registered Professional Engineer (or the Board's web site to look one up)
might also work.  Being a PE myself, I don't know that I would take on such
a job if someone called, even though RF is my area, however, I would make a
good faith effort to point her in the right direction, as would most PE's.
Another possibility is to refer her to someone who does commercial Public
Address work.

> Another thing, for the group, as far as I've determined so far this is a
> problem with only this one piece of gear - her sub-woofer. I haven't done
> anthing to any of the neighbors' equipment, so I don't think it's stray RF
> on my end. In fact, it only happens when I point the beam directly at my
> neighbor's house. I can run a full kilowatt with the beam pointed in any
> other direction and she doesn't hear a peep out of her sub-woofer. Just
> wanted to make that clear to some who suggested stray RF.

Hmmm... I can think of possible solutions and things to try... but, then,
you won't get a chance to do them...
1) Chokes on the power and signal wires going to the sub (common mode,
ferrite etc.)
2) covering the sub with an electrostatic shield.  Experimentally, I'd start
with wrapping it up in aluminum foil, grounding it to the audio signal
ground (I doubt it's got a three wire AC plug) and see if that fixes the
susceptibility (although it will sound bad, you'll at least know it's a
radiated, as opposed to conducted problem.