Re: [TowerTalk] K6STI YO / AO Programs?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K6STI YO / AO Programs?
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:24:40 -0800
>>>. I later found he had embedded my name onto each screen so as to
discourage anonomous pirating.
I have no real comment on the rest of the content in these posts, but..

This seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  The program still does what
you'd expect, right? It's no different than what many other software mfrs do
when they individually serialize software.  Illegal copying of software is a
fact of life, and relatively benign countermeasures that allow one to track
a bootleg copy back to the original source seem reasonable.

On the other hand I strongly decry various poorly implemented copy
protection schemes, including, and especially those that attempt to disable
other aspects of a user's computer or that implement hidden "call-home"
mechanisms.  Likewise software that attempts to key itself to some aspect of
a particular machine (by writing hidden files, registry keys, etc, or
hashing internal identifying information like network MAC numbers).

Jim, W6RMK