Re: [TowerTalk] K6STI YO / AO Programs?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K6STI YO / AO Programs?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:59:36 -0500
N6LRV wrote:
>I agree with you Joe. I live near Brian Beezley. I contacted him a couple of
years ago when I learned of his programs. When he did finally return my
messages he explained that he did in
fact stop advertising his programs because of pirating. I did eventually buy
one program from him however, he was obnoxious, unhelpful, and slow in
responding. He charged me a great deal of
money and refused to send it to me on disk instead, he emailed it to me. I
later found he had embedded my name onto each screen so as to discourage
anonomous pirating.

        I disagree.  Brian is very prompt normally...1 hour turnaround
is not uncommon for E-mail requests but he maintains East Coast
hours (6AM-10PM) so he may not respond promptly if you are on the
West Coast.  He will often answer email questions at 6 AM EST!!!  If
you have a problem with him doing what is necessary to protect
his Intellectual Property, I think the problem is yours and not
Brian's.  Thanks to several who indeed pirated his software, he
exited the ham radio business although I know he still maintains
Yagi Optimizer and DSP Blaster...I'm not sure about AO.

>Those 'round here who
have known him tell me he has always been the unpleasant sort. His DOS based
YO, AO, and other programs work well but these days I prefer the WIndows based
NEC modeling programs anyway.

        Nothing will hold a candle to YO in terms of optimization.  I've
used all versions of EZNEC thru 3.0 (including the original Elnec), and
YO runs light-speed circles around EZNEC for optimizing Yagis.

        Brian has always been very helpful and responsive to me.  My
most recent experience was when he spent ~1 hour with me on the
phone helping me solve a configuration problem for DSP Blaster.

        If anyone needs Brian's E-mail address, drop me a PM and I will
provide it.  He apparently does not like it published where the spambots
can obtain it.

73, Bill W4ZV

P.S.  Example of how YO7 helped optimize my KLM610 3-stack:
http://users.vnet.net/btippett/yagi_optimizer_7_0.htm