Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials

To: "Tom Champlin" <w0hh@msn.com>,"Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground radials
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:37:15 -0500
Tom:

     Electrically it doesn't make a difference whether the wire's insulated
or not.  Mechanically, the insulation gives you a significant degree of
protection against corrosion and eventual disappearance of the radial wire.

     I've used both.  I had bare copper-clad steel #18 for a Hygain vertical
at this QTH.  It lasted for a few years.  We added on to the house and I had
expected the contractor would have dug up all that wire but not a spec was
left in the ground.  OTOH, I've had about a half mile of insulated wire of
various gauges in the ground for my inverted L for six years now and, save
for the inevitable lawn mower snag, it's all still there.  (Well, what I
pulled up to relocate was still there and in one piece.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F