[TowerTalk] Re: Ground radials

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground radials
From: Didier Juges <didier@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:55:08 -0600
It's true that capacitance will help bridge the gap, and the higher the frequency, the more effect from capacitance. At higher frequencies, most models I saw for soil make capacitance (rather the dielectric constant) the dominant factor.
Of course the type of insulation would also make a big difference, with enamel insulated wire (think magnet wire) probably much better than plastic insulated wire.

It seems like it's time to go through some numbers and compare resistive versus capacitive impedance of the wire to the surrounding soil.

There are not complex maths (at least to get a first order approximation), and all that's needed is some typical resistivity and dielectric constant data for common soil.

On the other hand, I believe we agree that the only question is how much better a non-insulated wire would be. As long as corrosion does not get into the picture, non-insulated wire will always be better than insulated wire. Bare copper wire would be my choice (will be when I get around to wiring my 50' tower as a 160m vertical)

73,
Didier KO4BB