Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

To: lladerman@earthlink.net, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops
From: Steve Meuse <smeuse@mara.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:14:15 -0400
At 08:50 PM 4/27/2004 -0500, Lou Laderman wrote:

Mention was made of using a different, more flexible coax for rotor
loops than used on the main coax lines.  I've seen this suggested
elsewhere also. I've also heard (and followed) advice that you're better
off with a continuous run of coax than breaking the line with a
connector, and inserting losses in the line.  Which is correct?

I would do the math. If I knew the loss from the connectors (say 1db for example), I would see if 200' of a rigid cable minus the 1db loss would be more beneficial than a single 200' run of a flex cable with no connector loss.

Of course, I personally don't know what the loss figures are for connectors, and It's always been something of a mystery. I've heard uniformed people mention out loud, about .5db per break, but I don't have a clue.

-Steve
N1JFU