Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 9913; Rotor loops
From: "Marlon Schafer (509-982-2181)" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:42:55 -0700
I quit using heat shrink.  I tried the 3m and Ilsco versions.  Both glue
filled.

The glue gets hard when it gets cold and doesn't stay stuck to the coax.

When you try to take it off the glue sticks to everything it's not supposed
to.

When it's cold and/or windy it's almost impossible to shrink it right
without a blow torch.

3m Scotch 2229 mastic tape is a pain but I've NEVER had a connection leak
(and I've now done well over 100 in 4.5 years as a wisp).  I cover that up
with 3m 33+ (I don't use cheap tape, equipment failures are too expensive).
Do NOT wrap the 33+ any tighter than it HAS to be or it'll actually squish
through the mastic.

On the mastic, you stretch it to half it's original width then wrap around.

Have fun.
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless