[TowerTalk] Re: Connector loss

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Connector loss
From: Steve Meuse <smeuse@mara.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:31:31 -0400

This is great info, thanks for taking the time to explain it!

I've always suspected the "wives's tale" to be untrue, but never had any data to prove it.

I'll be archiving this message for future reference ;)

At 02:03 PM 4/28/2004 -0400, Tom Rauch wrote:

> I would do the math. If I knew the loss from the
connectors (say 1db for
> example), I would see if 200' of a rigid cable minus the
1db loss would be
> more beneficial than a single 200' run of a flex cable
with no connector loss.

I can shed some light on this, since I have the equipment to
measure this.

The loss of properly installed good quality connectors below
UHF is in the hundredths of a dB.

UHF connectors actually have less loss than N connectors
below a hundred MHz, and handle significantly more power.

The exception to this are some uncommon types of barrel
connectors and elbows that use spiral conductors and some
cheap plastic import connectors. Some of them measure as
high as .07dB loss, and are unusable at power over 300-400
watts.