RE: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion
From: "Keith Dutson" <kjdutson@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 16:59:42 -0500
>but the farther away the attachment point is from the center of rotation
the bigger the angle on the guy wire so the higher the resistance to the
twist.

Here is some food for thought.  Take it to the extreme where the torque arm
is lengthened and rigidly attached to both the tower and guy anchor point.
Twisting the tower will result in bending the torque arm.

Now, reduce the length of the torque arm to one inch less than the distance
from the tower and install a one inch guy wire.  Please don't laugh.  I know
hardware alone would not allow such a condition, but this is just for
visualization of force.  In this case the tower could twist a fraction
without bending the arm.  Or could it?  Keep moving in to longer wire,
shorter arm.  In each case the resistance to twisting is placed on
rigidity/strength of the torque arm and tension/strength of the guy wire.

IMO, if you compare the above to a six point torque arm system, well, there
really is no comparison.

Keith