Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Torque Bar confusion
From: kr7x@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 22:13:30 +0000
Tom:

When I refer to a star or six point guy arrangement I mean 2 guys from each guy
point on the tower. With 3 anchor points on the ground you get a 3 pointed star
in plan.

I am rethinking my earlier statement as Chris stated a system with the the guy
alignment through the center of rotation has no torsional resistance. However
if you do load it such that it trys to twist the guy line of action moves in
relation to the center of rotation and therefore creates an eccentricty, a
small distance but the guy force is fairly large. This is what the guy will
contribute to resisting the torsion.  Say 1" horizontal displacement at the guy
point attachment and 100 foot guy length with 600 lbs inital tension. Assuming
no additional tension do to guy elongation the rotational resistance from the
guy force in line is 600 in-lbs. The horizontal component is about 6 in-lbs. As
you can see I overstated the horizontal. If there are 3 guys then the total
resisting force is (600+6)*3=1818 in-lbs or 151.5 ft-lbs. Not an insignificant
number.

The increase is not really linear as it is a sine/cosine function. I retract my
earlier argument re the lateral component.

Again a full application of vector mechanics wins again, you just have to make
sure encompass the whole problem not a portion. I thank Chris for providing the
spark and apologize to Roger if I was overbearing in my response. Tom I thank
you for you practical wisdom, as usual.

Regards

Lonberg Design Group, Ltd.

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E. / KR7X