Re: [TowerTalk] Fellow Ham in Trouble

To: "k0dan" <k0dan@comcast.net>, "bob" <wf3h@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fellow Ham in Trouble
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 06:04:06 -0700
At 09:14 PM 9/12/2005, k0dan wrote:
>Another thing: just claiming that property values will decline because of
>"ugly" does not prove the case. When one goes to court (which we all wish
>to avoid) the legal teams on both sides will have "experts" testify
>(realtors, land use experts, etc.) who will get into prevailing real
>estate rates, historical trends, etc., etc. You could win or lose on these
>points, and we usually don't want to go the mileage, but the planning &
>zoning and council/commission people know this, and if they know YOU know
>this they will not buffalo you with a bunch of BS. You need to read and
>stufy the prevailing laws and trends and then use their own laws & trends
>to make your case. You may be able to achieve this as a "civilain" or you
>may have to employ an attorney, but you can't crumble because some people
>percieve their property values are effected. You need to show that you are
>within the letter of the law and that nearby and adjacent property values
>have not been degraded because of yours (or others') antenna stuctures. GL
>73 dan K0DAN

Probably better to post this sort of thing over on hamlaw, but..

number one thing to do: Get Fred Hopengarten's book on antennas, zoning,
etc. from the ARRL.
www.antennazoning.com

number two thing to do: Call an ARRL Volunteer counsel.

Some of Fred's presentations from Dayton are online, too.

You don't want to start arguing issues you don't have to (property values
being but one).

If you're fighting the PRB-1 battle, then impact on property values can't
figure into it. Either they "reasonably accommodate" or they don't. Their
reasons for not accommodating are immaterial.

  As Dan points out, you don't even want to start marching down the "battle
of the experts" path, because the other side probably has more money and
experts.  (Although, there have been some fairly rigorous studies done that
show that many things that "realtors" claim will reduce property values
don't, among them antennas.)

Very few land-use (zoning) type rules can be made on the basis of "property
values", just because value is speculative.  You see rules based on
"consistency of appearance and use": no factories next to houses". You see
rules based on safety: No explosives plants next to a school.  You see
rules based on morals: No adult bookstores within 1000 ft of an elementary
school.  You see rules based on appropriate usage limits: "Must have 1/2
acre to keep horses".

CC&Rs and HOA regulations, on the other hand, have relatively few
restrictions, aside from not being blatantly discriminatory (No Kids, No
Blacks, No Jews... all of which were not unusual 40 years ago).  If the HOA
board gets it into their mind that propery values would rise if everyone
painted their house pink, and managed to convince a sufficient number of
homeowners, then that's the new rule.

As Bob pointed out, the FCC (and the courts) have pretty much preempted
aesthetic concerns with respect to "reasonable" antennas and actual laws
and ordinances. Reasonable does not mean 4 towers 200 ft tall with log
periodic arrays, but also does not mean 30 ft TV mast with a 2 meter
beam.  Somewhere in between.