Re: [TowerTalk] remote antenna switch

To: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote antenna switch
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:32:55 -0800
At 10:26 AM 3/13/2006, larryjspammenot@teleport.com wrote:
>What are the cases for a remote coax switch with unused antennas being
>Grounded, or UNgrounded? For example, I have a 5-band quad with an RCS-8V
>remote coax switch. So there are four unused bands on the quad with one
>active, since I have five separate feedlines.

Grounding is nice for dissipation of static.
Of course, one can also dissipate static with a suitable RF choke (so that
it's an open circuit to RF)to ground.

You might want to ground or not ground because it would change the
interactions among elements (I use this to make automated measurements of
interelement impedances in my phased array)

Depending on where the switch is located (electrically!), "grounding" one
of the incoming feedlines has the effect of either shorting, opening, or
putting some reactive load on the antenna it's hooked to.