Re: [TowerTalk] New Cushcraft XM240 Trouble

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Cushcraft XM240 Trouble
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:42:49 -0500
"I have never understood why the 40-2CD reflector is grounded and the XM240
is not........basically they are the same antenna...."

I'm not really sure either, but I'm willing to take a guess.

When they did the mechanical upgrade and added the long U channels to
support the elements, of course they had to isolate the driven element,
and if the reflector was also isolated, then both elements can be
identical except for the extra length required of the reflector. If they
had mounted the reflector without the isolators, then it would be
connected to then entire length of the U channel, this would lower the
resonant frequency of the reflector because there would now be a section
with much larger diameter (the U channel). It's a lot easier to
manufacture identical elements than to make the two different. Of course
they could solve this problem by keeping the isolators for the reflector
and then adding a single strap to the boom at the center, but this is
more hardware, and I'll bet they couldn't see any reason to do it.

The reason I added this strap was because I didn't like the reports from
others of arcs jumping across the reflector isolators during close
lightning.  Since this gap is only about 1/8 inch around the U bolts,
the arcs would be depositing metal fragments across the insulators at
these points.  When this kind of thing happens over a period of time. I
have found that a short usually develops. I don't like shorts or
intermittents showing up at various places on my antennas.  If there was
just a gap without the insulator, then there would be no place for the
arc to deposite the metal dust, but this is not the case.

EZNEC analysis of the antennas shows no difference with the reflector
grounded or not.

Jerry, K4SAV