Re: [TowerTalk] New Cushcraft XM240 Trouble

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New Cushcraft XM240 Trouble
From: "Dan Hammill" <kb5my@starband.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:31:31 -0700
Given a long enough feedline, one can make anything at the antenna end look
like a perfectly matched load in the shack...even an open- or
short-circuited coax.  That's why we can use 100 feet of open-ended RG-58 as
a well-matched 50-watt dummy load at 1296 MHz.

Here's a question to ponder:

Given two equal-electrical-length coaxial lines around 1000 feet long,
terminated at the opposite end with a non-reactive 75-ohm load, and measured
with a $128,000 Agilent VNA at 1000 MHz:

Line 1: RG-213
Line 2: 1-5/8" HELIAX

Assuming that the lines' electrical lengths are such that we present the VNA
with a non-reactive load, which line is most likely to show a better match
to 50 ohms on the VNA?

I've posed this question in a slightly different form to many degreed RF
design & test engineer interviewees over the last 18 years.  Only ONE has
given me the logical answer.

73,
Dan  KB5MY