Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arc During Lightning Storm
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:36:19 -0400
Interesting. Dave's response to this turned up 7 minutes before this
original post.

>  A couple of times in my life I have been in a building during a lightning
> storm, as today, and I hear a "zap" arc-type noise during a close strike.

Around here I normally hear them as a "pop", or snap.  Lightning a mile away
can induce as much as a 1000 volts per meter in conductors. If the
conductors are not grounded or do not use the same ground this sound is
quite common.  With a single point ground consisting of 32 ground rods and
over 600 feet of bare #2 I've not heard that phenomona since the ground
system became operational.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com