Re: [TowerTalk] Arc during Lightning storm

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arc during Lightning storm
From: <jacobsen_5@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:42:25 -0500
Hi all,  I've experienced something similar, 'cept it was winter, heavy blowing
snow (20-30 mph winds). I went to connect an inverted L and happened to brush
the feed line past the ground bar on the way to the tuner.  Got a REALLY NICE
Blue arc.  Forgot about going on the air, just played with the arc for a while.

I've heard that the military had the similar problems in the middle east
conflicts on HF (but not with snow).  Rumor has it during sand storms, the
static build up was blowing the front ends out of the solid state equipment.
Also heard they scrambled to get a bunch of Collins KWM2 and 75 series gear
refurbed and over there. (also rumor)

73
K9WN  Jake