Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 15:29:24 -0700
Peter wrote:

Try to convince Steve.
Seems he is not a believing in antenna simulation.

But I don´t believe in gain figures which are not measured in the main lobe

Peter

Hi All

Well, I've never modeled an antenna that I have built and they all seem to
work.  I guess maybe if I bought a modeling program and ran it, I'd get a db
or better gain, or maybe a little better FB.  Or it may tell me that it
won't work.  I usually just put up an antenna and if it works, leave it up.
If it doesn't work, I build something else.

What is someone supposed to do if they have a beam that has been up for 20
years that they have worked 300 countries with, then find out that the model
says it won't work, or it has 'negative gain'?

I had a TH-3 here at one time.  Dunno what the modeling says about it, but I
didn't like it.  I took it down and built a 2 element 20 meter monobander
out of it and it has worked like gangbusters.  Much better than the TH-3
did.  I just put it on a quarter wave boom, split the driven element, fed it
through a coax balun, made the reflector 5% longer and put it up.  Worked so
good I made a 10 meter beam the same way.

Don't know what the model says about it, but don't care :-).  As long as it
works, it's fine with me.  YMMV  73
Tom W7WHY