Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] C31XR versus SteppIR
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 18:46:30 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 14 May 2007 02:19:17 +0200, "Peter Voelpel"
 <df3kv@t-online.de> wrote:

>Sure it does, even 3db more or less will not be recognized on the air.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Would you recognize going from 1 db below the noise level to 2 db
above it?

I suspect every long-time DXer has had an experience where he almost
but not quite made a QSO and sincerely believed just 1 db more would
have made the difference. I know I have.

Having said that however, I still don't worship gain figures, even if
they are accurate. I appreciate things which are reliable most of all.
I'll trade a db or maybe two of gain for an antenna that works when
you want it to, year after year, no muss, no fuss.

Bill W6WRT