Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

To: "Tim Heger" <n3xx@charter.net>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:13:18 -0700
At 03:23 PM 5/14/2007, Tim Heger wrote:
>Why buy a house where your neighbors can have control over what antennas you
>put up?
>Someone please explain?  I have never been able to understand why anyone
>would do that.

Anathema, I know, but one might find the other aspects of the house
and/or location worth the limitations. Ham radio is a hobby after
all, and things like proximity to your job, good schools, low crime
rate, other house features (swimming pool, movie stars, etc.) might
take precedence. Not everyone can choose their location based solely
on suitability for an antenna farm.

If you (or your significant other) care about such things, you can
also be sure that your neighbor's not going to engage in the auto
junkyard business, paint their house bright purple, or take up
peacock raising as a hobby.

There's also an availability issue if you are in a relatively new
community (say, with most growth occurring after 1985). In some
areas, it is very difficult to find non-deed-restricted properties
for sale.  The HOA may have long since disappeared, but if CC&Rs were
ever recorded, nothing stops some future homeowner from suing
individually to enforce them.  The suit may be totally without merit,
but you still have to pay to defend against it.  This could easily
cost as much (or more) than the tower, antenna, and the erection of it.