Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

To: Krish <kkanakas@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?
From: W4LDE-Ron <w4lde@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:07:53 -0400
Well like many Hams that have non-ham wives it's very hard to tell the
XYL she can't have that house she's dreamed of because we can't put up
an antenna, at least not this OM's XYL.

I am in the stage of looking at property  south-west of Atlanta, most if
not all of the new sub-divisions have some verbage or wording that
restricts any kind of antenna, however, after several interesting
discussions with builders I found that most of the HOA's and
Architectural committees are under control of the developers until the
sub-division is completed, thats how the developers protect themselves
from Owner controlled HOA's and changes that would cost them (Developer
and Builder) money.  That's the magic word.

I started talking to one specific builder about six months ago before
the current slow down in the homes market and was flat told "No
antennas"  about 1-month ago after being persistent I was told we will
need to check if the Developer will allow it and amend the CCR's or
provide a change via the architectural committee.  Two weeks ago I got a
call from the builder stating that I can get the variance to erect a
tower on the back of a specific lot (heavily Treed lot that is) and use
what I had originally suggested which is a crank up US tower
(needle-pole style)  Since most of the trees are from 20 to 40ft   I
submitted a 22ft  to 55ft cranked up with a SteppIR on top and a double
extended 80 meter zepp on an acre of heavily wooded lot.

The builder wants to include the tower base in the cost of the home with
conduits for antenna cables and power from the house to the base as part
of the permit drawings, thus avoiding trouble down the road from the
local municipality.  All of this will be done under the scrutiny of a
real estate lawyer.

I can attest that it is very difficult to find a new home, I am not a
wealthy individual but was willing to spend more to get the right kind
of property where antennas would not become a legal issue.  It's been a
real hassle and several real estate agents have given up trying to find
that new home for me.  One has stayed the course and you bet she will
get my business.

Right now in my opinion the market is right to get what we need if it is
a new home, with existing HOA's and firm CCR's then I would stay very
clear of them.  I was looking at a great home with 2-acres and big trees
in all of the right places and for the right price where home owners
could have horses on there property but I found way down in the fine
print "No antennas except for satellite dishes of 18" or smaller"  What
a disappointment.   I currently live just outside of Orlando in a
restricted HOA but where antennas are not out-lawed.  Amazing, there's
lots of hams in the community.

Unfortunately this issue is not going away unless the Fed's do it for
us, developers have the money to protect what they perceive as a
possible treat to their success, most by being uniformed, the only
reason for this restriction in the location I am looking at is "Hams
cause TV interference".  . Bottom line,  be persistent with positive
aspects of the need for an antenna as recommended by others, get to now
the builder and the developer, understand the home market and support
any bill with respect to HOA's-CCR-Deed restriction of antenna's.