Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 11:39:39 -0400
>> Last I read there is no evidence whatsoever that
>> anyone's home value anywhere has been diminished
>> by the nearby presence of an Amateur Radio tower.
>
> I believe the larger fear is that a "slippery slope" condition is created.
> First, the ham tower/antenna is erected.  Then, a neighbor seeing the tower
> installation decides to break a covenant by installing a small shed in his
> back yard.  Then, across the street, a boat or large RV find its way to be
> parked at the far end of a driveway .  After that, other covenants are
> broken in succession to the point where they become unenforceable due to
> many legal theories.
>
> So, the one event in and of itself may be harmless, but it can be argued
> that multiple covenant violations will yield impossible enforcement action
> and thus create a condition where lower property values result.
>
> Paul, W9AC

Exemptions for towers, especially due to Homeland
Security-related over-riding priorities, has some
legal precedent over local covenants and zoning.
One would need to do some research - or take advantage
of ARRL research.

We increasingly live in a fear and selfishness-driven
society.  How sad.

This is why I would never live in a deed-restricted
community with freedom-depriving covenants.

I guess Hams will just have to learn to ask better
questions before buying into these little fiefdoms.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E
Personal: http://bibleseven.com/kd4e.html