Re: [TowerTalk] Plenty of Ham Friends who climb towers

To: TowerTalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plenty of Ham Friends who climb towers
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 12:12:11 -0500
KM1H wrote:
> The secret is to never stop climbing...

I can testify to this statement.

I used to have to climb every month or two to fix problems
or tweak something. I had one piece of gear that required
constant attention. I climbed at least ten times a year, on
average. While I often felt sore, I never had any trouble
getting the work done in terms of stamina or strength.

Well, I finally got everything working to the point where I
didn't have to climb for over a year. The last trip to the
top was about 18 months ago to replace a Tailtwister. I had
gone well over a year without climbing. This was the longest
gap since I put up my first tower 17 years ago.

Well to make a long story short, I almost didn't make it
off the tower a few months ago.  I got up in the morning,
had NO breakfast or even a glass of water, and decided to
just quickly go up and retrieve a pulley I'd left at the
top when swapping out the T2X. I go to the 100 foot level,
put the pulley in my pouch, and stared my descent.

While climbing over the star bracket at 90 feet, my body started
shaking uncontrollably.  I had some really uncomfortable moments
up there. I told my girlfriend that I might be in trouble, and
to talk to me for a bit.  Eventually I stopped shaking, and I made
it safely to the ground. It was my worst time ever on a tower.

I think I did several things wrong.

1) No food or water before my ascent.  I should have eaten a
bannana and drank a glass of Emergen-C, which is my usual thing.
For some stupid reason I did not nourish myself properly first.

2) I let too much time go between tower climbs.  This affected
me both physically and psychologically.  Physically, my muscles
were simply not up to the task. I'd gotten soft.  Mentally, I
had more fear than usual. I'm not terrified of heights, but I
do not enjoy climbing at all.

3) I let my inspection and maintenance slack.  Unlike some fine
liquid beverages, this stuff does not improve with time. I had
some surface rust issues that really needed attention. It had been
far too long since I inspected every bolt and nut.

Since that day a few months ago, I have been trying to climb a
few times a month, even if nothing needs to be done. It's been
good for me. I'm getting the strength back in my arms and legs
where I need it. My nerve and confidence is coming back as well.
There's also something about being Up The Tower that just makes
me feel more connected with my station. Towers need attention.

Stay in shape, and don't let too much time go between climbs.
Make sure there's some potassium and vitamins in your blood
stream before going up. Be careful! If it gets too intense,
stop the work and get back down safely.

73

-Kirk  K4RO