Re: [TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.

To: "'Phil Camera'" <kb9cry@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SPG & Service Entrance Grounds.
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:31:43 -0500

Hi Phil,

When you run any length of ground conductor over to your power entrance and
you don't have your power run thru your single point ground panel, you
technically don't have a single point ground system. You may have everything
bonded to one place but there is still a possibility for voltage differences
between those points.

Neither is a system with a perimeter ground grounding system with equipment
"taped" into the ground ring a true single point ground system.

Some companies used to run a ground ring around the inside of buildings and
tap into that ring with each piece of equipment. Most have gotten away from
that sort of grounding idea as it left pieces of equipment in series with
each other on the ground ring. In other words one piece of equipment was
closer to the earth connection than the next.

Sometimes these alternatives are all that can be done at a particular site
but they are not "single point ground systems" and should not be called
such.

The best way is to have your coax entrance panel right at the power entrance
point and also the phone line entrance point there too, and any other cables
that connect to equipment that come in. All connected to the same panel
before going to your equipment.

If you can't do that then the next best thing to do is to run a power line
over to your coax panel, put power line suppressors on the panel and feed
your equipment from there. Same with phone lines and any other cables.

If it is a very short run over to the power entrance panel from the coax
entrance panel you can get by with heavy strap between panels.

The whole idea of a single point ground panel is to have near zero impedance
between any lines feeding equipment.

The purpose of a perimeter ground around a building should be to help
equalize voltages in the ground around the building to equalize ground
conducted currents from lightning. It should not be there as a convenient
tie point for equipment unless there is no other way to bond everything
together.

73
Gary  K4FMX