Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question
From: John Ammeter <jammeter@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:58:27 -0800
I just installed a TX-472 at my QTH.  It called for a hole 4' x 4' x 7'
deep.  I used my Kubota BX23 tractor and backhoe to dig down to 5 1/2'
feet.  That was the deepest the backhoe would dig and I went the rest of
the way by hand using a small jackhammer, bucket for the dirt and the
tractor's front loader to lift the 100 pound full bucket out of the
hole.   My soil is pretty much clay type hardpan.

I put a form around the top of the hole and a little bit larger in width
than the hole.  I used 5 yards of concrete to fill the hole and form.

John KE7JGB