Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up Tower Base Question
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 16:41:01 -0800
FYI

                             x  x
                            x     x       ____
                           x        x    I       I
                          u           oQ____Q

The above drawing (if it remains intact) represents the typical (and lower
cost) backhoe digger.  The oxxxo
represents the closer boom and pivots near the wheel represented as Q.  The
oxxxu represents the outer boom and pivots at the o common to both booms. u
represents the bucket.  With this typical backhoe, it is difficult to dig
deep because the operator cannot see the bucket and the backhoe has to be
frequently maneuvered to get
the bucket into the hole as the hole gets deeper.

Another (more costly) backhoe has a hydraucally extendable boom that slides
out from the oxxxu boom and the bucket is attached to the extendable boom.
This feature enables the operator to dig deeper and deeper without having to
maneuver the backhoe so much.  These backhoes can easily dig a 3.5 x 3.5 x 7
hole and even deeper but the operator has to be experienced and patient not
to gouge out the hole.

k7puc