Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: BRENT BAUM <brentbaum5323@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:05:56 -0600
When I contacted a local PE (Heber City, UT) regarding my tower base he asked
how I was going to dig the hole. I told him I would use a large auger and then
square it up. His reply was in effect, good because there isn't any way you're
going to do one that size with a backhoe and keep undisturbed soil. He was more
concerned about keeping the soil undisturbed than about the size, rebar, or
whatever else. In other words, no backfilling.
FWIW
K7MEI, Brent

> From: w1ksz@q.com> To: towertalk@contesting.com> Date: Mon, 12 May 2008
> 19:54:03 +0000> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing> >
> Let me toss this out for consideration. I too have the situation where I
> need> a large hole for an LM-470 base.> > I thought about contacting a "Tree
> Planter" and getting him to use his big> Auger to bore the hole for the base.
> I don't think it makes much difference> if the hole is round or square as
> long as the same amount of concrete is> used.> > Or am I totally off base
> here ??> > 73, Dick, W1KSZ> > > > > Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:46:02 -0400>
> From: kc2pih@gmail.com> To: towertalk@contesting.com> Subject: [TowerTalk]
> Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing> > Hi,> > I am in the process of trying to
> find a excavator to dig the footing> for my HDX572 tower. To the 5 people
> I've talked to so far, this> 5x5x8 hole is difficult. I think mostly because
> none of them have a> small enough backhoe. Most of them want to dig a big
> hole and hav
 e me> pour into a concrete form and backfill later.> > They claim they can
backfill and bring the soil back into> "undisturbed" condition around the
footing by compaction - even> claiming that this might be more reliable than
just digging a hole> just to the size I need.> > I am lining a couple people up
for estimates, but I think this already> sounds like the are trying to wring a
couple days of work out of this> - maybe I am wrong here. I have even have one
person decline giving an> estimate altogether. Should this be an easy task for
a skilled person> > to dig on a mini-excavator? I was told that if the hole is
deeper than> 4', that no person can enter it unless walls are built up.> > Any