Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: Eugene Jensen <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 00:26:02 -0400
I want to keep this in a proper prospective as the ground you are digging in
can be a lot of different types and without knowing for sure it can range
from cement hard to soft sand. My 555 pad is 6x6x8 with it rebar cage and it
was dug inspected and was poured in two days and took 10 yards to close. Why
so big "soft sand". If you have soft ground form 3 or 4 feet back from the
hole and have the driver pour real slow as you don't want it to cave in on
you. Having a concrete contractor is worth the cost if you not done this
kind of work before. I think mine cost $1800.00 and the concrete was
$1000.00 I look at it you have to rent a machine, dig it, make a cage and
then form it and then the pour. I don't believe I would have save any money
doing the work myself. So get some bids and think about that approach. As
far as a small hole check the local graveyards and find who digging the
holes. Those guys are real good at digging  in tight places and don't mind
side money and they sometimes comes with a small machine.  Above all be
safe. 73 Gene K2QWD