Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 14:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>>  I was told that if the hole is deeper than 4', that no person  can
>> enter
> it unless walls are built up.
>
>     Yes. OSHA rules state that anything deeper  than that needs to be
> shored.
> Since you're not subject to OSHA rules, you  could dig it by hand yourself
> or
> go into the hole. Potentially dangerous but  possible.

I dug a couple of 3x3x6 foot holes by hand using a short handled
shovel and a pick.  I also needed a yardstick, bucket, and small
aluminum ladder.  You can really get a precision hole that way.
The hole was so nice I almost hated to fill it in with concrete.
I was digging in dry clay that could not cave it even if I tried
to make it cave in.

One thing I don't understand about the philosophy of the sloppy hole
that you just fill with extra concrete is how that works with the rebar
cage.  It seems like all the extra concrete you have to pour is going
to be outside the rebar cage and be unreinforced.  I guess its no
worse than dirt backfill.

Rick N6RK