Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: w1ksz@q.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: KJ6Y@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:44:28 EDT
The original specs for the Tri-Ex LM-470 stated you could use a round hole
in place of a square one.  A round hole 5 ft in diameter, 7 ft deep and  forms
6 inches above grade. These plans were dated 1966.
The inspector required the forms to be square.

Most of the installations I have done were in the backyard and could not  get
any piece of digging equipment in there. I usually hire laborers to dig by
hand.  Just did one in Carlsbad, CA, 5' x 5' x 6' for a TX-455 and they did  it
in one day AND hauled the dirt away.  I have an assortment of digging  tools
including an electric jack hammer.  Could not have done it that  quickly
without it.

Pictures available on request.

Skip,  KJ6Y
_Communications Service  Co_ (http://members.aol.com/kj6y/skip.html)