Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Digging a 5'x5'x8' tower footing
From: <rwhitetexas@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:51:35 -0500
I used a 12 inch bucket mini-excavator and like Steve said, it was easy and
fun to operate it (my son actually let me try it a few times). These
excavators may only go 8 ft. deep though. We just had enough length of the
arms to get there. It was in the $350 to $3475 for the weekend, pick up mid
Friday and take back Monday. We had it delivered on its own trailer. We
hauled it back.

As far as soil collapsing, that is always a problem. Fortunately (or
unfortunately whichever way you look at it), here in our area of DFW, we
have soil  called black gumbo. Like digging in black concrete. When a hole
is that deep, after 4-5 feet, you also need a ladder to get out.  No way you
could hand dig a eight ft. hole into this dirt in one day.

We had the rebar bent and cut to length for our cage, so we easily built it
in the hole in a short time. I have some pics for anyone interested in the
excavator picture and the rebar cage.

Roger W5RD