Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding mast?

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding mast?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:17:20 -0400
jim Jarvis wrote:
> Been following the SteppIR v. Stepper.IT thread while travelling.
> Had a few minutes to browse both websites, this morning,
> and came across a short commentary about lightning and ESD protection
> for the steppIR.
>
> It raises the question of static charge buildup due to wind motion,
> in (one assumes)

Static charges build up in ran, snow, or just a dry wind.
> drier climates.   Points out lack of conductivity across rotors,  and
> asserts 300-500V per meter

This is highly unlikely. Measure the resistance from top to bottom of a
rotator just sitting there.  It should appear as zero or close to it.
With the rotator supporting weight as it is designed to do the contact
resistance is even lower.  OTOH a 100K will be enough to bleed off the
slow static charge build up. There is so little current during the
static charge build up it takes little to bleed it off.

As to the lightning, if the rotator is down in the tower it's pretty
well protected.
At an average of 3 *verified* direct strikes per year over the last 6
years (give or take a tad) the only damage to any thing on the tower has
been to the coatings on the coax connectors with the exception of the
repeater antenna (vertical on top of everything) which was prior to the
installation of the present ground system.

Lightning will *GENERALLY* take the shortest route which is going to be
from the mast to the tower at the top sleeve or bearing.  The thrust
bearing shouldn't be supporting any weight so at most I'd lose the
ability to clamp the mast when taking out the rotator. OTOH there is a
second one about 5' above the rotator.
I take no special precautions at the top of the tower to protect the
rotator which is between 12 and 20 feet down inside the tower and figure
it's pretty safe there.  I also figure that extra work is a waste of
time. However where lightning is concerned there are no guarantees so if
putting something around the rotator makes any one feel better, then go
for it.   If it takes one of the rare "super strikes" it probably
matters little what any of us have done.

For reference here  is a shot of the antennas and rotator which I have
posted a number of times.  The rotator motor can seen be sticking out
the left side of the tower near the bottom of the photo.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm

73

Roger (K8RI - ARRL Life Member)
www.rogerhalstead.com