Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop

To: Roger N0VR <n0vr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 09:36:15 -0700
Roger N0VR wrote:
> I use a similar method but I "pot" the connectors with hot glue as the
> "middle" layer instead of using the self-vulcanizing (or rubberized) tape. I
> just thoroughly cover the first layer with hot glue and then once it cools
> to where it is slightly firm but still pliable, I wrap it with the third
> layer. The tightening of the top layer as it is applied will effectively
> squeeze the still soft glue into any voids that you may have missed.
>
> Granted, the self-vulcanizing tape might be easier but I had a connector get
> water in it years ago using the three layer method. That is what prompted me
> to "pot" them instead.
>
> The one thing I didn't do before is turn the first layer "sticky side out".
> That is a great idea. Although some tape residue isn't all that bad to
> remove from a connector, your method makes it just that much easier.
>
> Roger, N0VR

They actually make a heat shrink tubing that has an inner layer on it
that melts at the shrink temperature.  You put it over the connector,
zap it with the heat gun, and the goop squirts out the ends as the
tubing shrinks.

There's also a low melting tape (no adhesive) that you wrap around the
thing to be sealed, putting heat shrink over the combination. Same
idea.. you heat the assembly, the tape melts, the outer tubing shrinks,
and you've got a watertight seal.

I've heard stories about people actually sealing leaks in pipes with
this stuff, but not actually seen it done.

Jim, W6RMK