Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop

To: Roger N0VR <n0vr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:01:25 -0700
Roger N0VR wrote:
> So true!
>
> The only way I've overcome that problem is to make connections and seal them
> on the ground before I put things "in-the-air". Then it's just a matter of
> routing cables to wherever they are destined.
>
> A lot of the different wx proofing ideas we have seen over the years are
> very interesting. There are aspects of all of them that are reasonable and
> work well. It's fun to take bits and pieces of others experiences and try to
> make one work for you.
>
> I like the reference to the goop-lined heat shrink. I've never heard of
> that. Anyone have a favorite source for that stuff?

I'm pretty sure it's been described here before. The ones I've seen are
made by 3M, but I can't recall what it's called specifically.

I just looked on their website and there's
3M™ Wraparound Heat Shrink Cable Repair HDCW sleeve

But, I also found something that looks even niftier (and needs no tools,
etc.)

It's the 3M Silicone Rubber Cold Shrink Connector Insulators 8440
Series.  It seems to be a sort of prestreched tube with a core. You
slide it over what you want to seal, and pull the core out (which peels
away like a grease pencil wrapper) and the tubing shrinks down over the
workpiece.

google for the name of the stuff, and you can find the datasheet on 3M's
site.