Re: [TowerTalk] Height of tower foundation with respect to grade

To: "W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Height of tower foundation with respect to grade
From: hdmc38@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 19:48:15 +0000
I agree if you have a permit and reviewed plans that show the the base 6" above
grade then that's what the inspector will want to see. Or a plan revision read
that as PITA. I assume when say you sidewalk you mean a walkway on your
property and not a public side walk in front of your house. The 6'' is not only
for water drainage but is also part of the foundation. I think the point is to
maintain the base design and keep the water from puddling at the tower base. My
Rohn 45 base is approx 5' x5' x5'. The plan calls for 6" above grade. This
tower is bracketed to the house. When we formed the base at the backside
against he house foundation we started at  6 1/2"  ABG sloped and away from the
house to the front at 5''. Giving 1 1/2 "slope for drainage, broom finish.
There is also a 1/2" piece of expansion joint between the the two foundations.
The inspector was happy and so was I! Of course no permit makes you the
engineer. The one that is held liable. That's all. It's now your c
 all. If you install a tower or any other permitable structure and get a permit
and inspections If nothing happens it's all trash. On the the other hand if
somehow someway something does go wrong and it can.Then that paperwork is gold.
Last time I checked gold was close to $1000.00 an once.JMHO. Good luck and
always follow the  K7LXC golden rule and you will be fine.
--
73 K4XZ Joe Patrick