Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Crank-up

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Crank-up
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:57:58 -0700
Stan Stockton wrote:
> As mentioned the lower section would be large (33 inch face) tower
> with 3 inch diameter legs.  The top would either be 55G or 65G.

It doesn't matter whether you analyze the top section as if it started
on the ground or on top of something else.
It's the same analysis. right?. (except higher wind higher)

the first post said

"about 75 feet of 55G or 65G that would telescope into about the same
length of larger tower (33 inch face, 3 inch legs),"

Even chopping 15' off that for a joint, you're saying 60' of unsupported
55g.
I guess you could say you're designing for 0mph wind. The problem is you
want to design for close tolerances, so the top doesn't bang around a
lot in a slight wind. But if it bends, then the tight tolerances mean it
won't come down. So knowing whether the top section is going to bend
seems important.

Maybe you're talking about a shorter length of 55g.

-kevin
ad6z