Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switch isolation?

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switch isolation?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 06:13:40 -0700
Pete Smith wrote:
> Another trick to consider is arranging the relays so that there are two
> sets of open contacts between ports.
>
> BTW, it is quite amazing how little relay capacity is really required
> for a legal limit antenna switchbox - Top Ten, for example, uses a NAiS
> relay that costs about $2 a pop.  I have tried to break these running
> really high SWRs at 1200 watts - without success.

That's because relays are typically rated/designed for their "making" or
"breaking" performance, and as a general rule, we don't "hot switch" the
relay...

A pretty small relay can be rated at 30 Amps (look at the little relays
in cars)  and 30A, even at 3:1 ISWR, is a lot of power (1200W is 5Amps
into a 50 ohm load).  And, once the contacts are open, a fairly small
gap will stand off a kilovolt (about 14 mil, 0.4mm). 1200W is 250V or so.

(and, to give the Top Ten folks credit, they probably did try multiple
relay models.. not all relays with a given rating work at RF)