Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:01:13 -0700

Yeah ... that's the one.  I built a mast raising fixture with it a
couple of years ago, and as Chris says the worm gear (which appeared to
be hardened steel) just plain ground off the teeth on the ring gear
(which very obviously was not hardened steel).  My mast and upper
antenna together only weigh about 200 lbs, and yet in order to raise
them I had to brush heavy duty lithium grease on the ring gear literally
every revolution.  I only got one use out of the winch before the ring
teeth were almost gone.  By the end of the exercise I was scared to
death that the remaining portion of the teeth would strip and the ring
gear would just freewheel.

Granted, the Harbor Freight winch was only about $22 when I bought it
and the Thern 465 worm drive winch I bought to replace it cost me about
$150, but that $22 POS could have cost me a heck of a lot more in terms
of injury and damaged gear.  Never again ....

73,
Dave   AB7E