Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harbor Freight WInch
From: Gene - W5DQ <w5dq@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:15:41 -0500 (CDT)
> Any thoughts on using a Harbor Freight winch for a U.S. Tower 55 ft
> crankup??
>
> I think the one sold by U.S. Towe is around $1200 versus $150 for the
> Harbor Freight model.
>
> Mike
> W8TRN

I have thought of the same idea but disregarded it as a possible SAFETY
PROBLEM. The winches sold by Harbor Freight are limited for pulling rolling
stock (ie cars and trucks, etc) and are specifically noted NOT FOR LIFTING. I'm
not sure about the physical differences between the UST models and the HF ones
but you can rest assured the UST winch will not fail due to structural
inadequacies. If there were an accident and injuries occurred, using the HF
model will probably leave you in stranded 'legally' if sued since it is LIFTING
where the UST model, when installed as instructed, should give you some legal
wiggle room.

Like the old adage says "You get what you pay for!"

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Gene W5DQ