[TowerTalk] Multi-Band Vertical Question

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Multi-Band Vertical Question
From: GALE STEWARD <k3nd@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 05:16:41 -0700 (PDT)
I currently rebuilding a Hygain 14AVQ 10-40M vertical. My thinking is that I'd
like to install this someplace on the property to use as a "go to" antenna when
the main antennas are pointed to EU.

As I see my situation, I have three possible ways of installing this antenna:

(1) ground mount the antenna about 5 ft from my 80/160 vertical (60ft
combination tophat & base loaded). I would prefer this option as I could tie
the 14AVQ to the large radial system of the lowband vertical. Anyone tried
anything similar? Problems?

(2) Ground mount the 14AVQ at another location and install another radial
system. I'm figuring a minimum of 30-40 radials. Some of the radial system
would be in some woods.

(3) Install the 14AVQ as an elevated ground plane with the base up 16-20 ft. I
would use 4 sloping radials for 20M which would double as guy wires. I'd then
add two radials for 40M (these should also work for 15M) and two more for 10M.

I'd like to go with option 1 as it would be the easiest to setup.

I'd appreciate any info and comments!

73, Stew K3ND