Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Insurance
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:49:37 -0400

On 8/16/2010 4:44 PM, Mike wrote:
>    On 8/16/2010 4:30 PM, Mark Robinson wrote:
>>> My insurance agent told me that the tower is considered an "accessory
>>> structure" -- same as "appurtenant (auxiliary?) structure???? -- IF it
>>> is "attached to" the building. The "attachment" may be nominal but
>>> cannot be merely the electrical connections.

Different companies treat towers differently. Some treat them as
"appurtenant" structures with a value up to 10% of the primary
structure.  It's easy even with a modern dwelling to exceed 10% of the
cost with a tower, or towers plus multiple antennas.   OTOH the average
probably comes no where near the 10%. But...when you get into the new,
antennas  just a good tribander and one to cover the WARC band can
easily total $3,000, plus rotator, tower, and accessories. With the
larger antennas it is easy to reach $5,000 or more per antenna and
towers to hold those are expensive. A good crankup (new) can run $10,000
to $20,000 or wayyy more.

The only real answer is to check with your insurance company. We added a
rider to cover the towers and antennas.
Be careful about the "attached structure" some companies treat that
quite differently than others. Some don't even want them attached while
others do.  So there are a lot of variables when it comes to making sure
the tower and antennas are insured.  Above all, make sure you have
enough insurance to cover having to hire the entire works replaced with
what ever deductible you want/can stand.  You might not be able to redo
the whole thing yourself even if you did put it up.

73

Roger (K8RI)