Re: [TowerTalk] 5 x conductor rotor cable ?

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 5 x conductor rotor cable ?
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:24:01 -0500
Jim,

I would suggest you place the rotor power supply at the base of the tower in
a WX proof box.

I have my 24v power supply mounted at the tower base and operate it with two
12vdc DPDT relays. Each relay has One pole for the AC to the power
transformer, the other pole switches the 24v to the PP motor. That way the
power supply is only powered up when you need to drive the rotor.

With the remote method, you can use standard rotor cable. Three wires for
the indicator and two to operate the relays. My AC supply is standard 14
gage Romex inside 3/4 in PVC pipe running underground from my well house,
which is closer to my tower. You might need #12 if your run is real long.

     73's Jim
      W5IFP