Re: [TowerTalk] Long wire - remote tuner - radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long wire - remote tuner - radials
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 09:00:21 -0700
On 5/9/2011 11:15 PM, Tony wrote:
> The radial system will have to be a compromise; I have a choice of
> running a bundle of radials in one direction along a vinyl fence or
> wrapping the same bundle around the 8 x 12 shed.

No question -- wrapping wire around a shed does NOT form a radial. One
radial that is more or less straight is far better than none, but if I
were you, I would try to figure out how to run a lot more, even if they
are short.

Study the material in the ARRL Handbook and the ARRL Antenna Book.

One other thought. Where did you come up with 300 ft?  That's not a very
good length, for a lot of reasons. First, it's difficult to tune and
load on most bands. Second, it's a lot longer than optimum for any of
the bands listed.

In an inverted L, the vertical part provides the most useful radiation,
and the additional horizontal length simply makes it easier to tune. For
the bands where you want to use it, I'd be thinking of an overall length
on the order of 100 ft, which avoids a high impedance feed point on both
80 and 160 (and maybe on 40 as well). The object is to avoid a multiple
of half waves.

73, Jim K9YC