Re: [TowerTalk] Two signals on the same frequency?

To: "'K8RI on TT'" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two signals on the same frequency?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 19:09:31 -0400
A ham that I knew some years ago (an avid Do's) claimed that he and his
buddy across town would sometimes get on the same frequency and one would
zero beat the other by holding the telephone up to the speaker at one
station and to the mike at the other station as they were both keyed up.
Then one would talk into the mike and phone at the same time.

He claimed that in a pileup that neither could break by themselves, got done
easily with the two stations.

If you think about a stacked array with the ability to feed in phase or out
of phase, sometimes one is better than the other. It all depends on how the
two or more signals are arriving at the other end when there is diversity
involved.
When the array looks more like a point source then absolute phase is more
important. But I suspect that when there is significant separation in
antennas then arrival phase at the other end is not as predictable.

73
Gary  K4FMX