Re: [TowerTalk] Harness, Gorilla Hooks

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Harness, Gorilla Hooks
From: "R. Morris" <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:47:16 -0400
On 09/28/2011 04:47 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
> The mass of your head is the key issue.  Nobody is going to be able to
> keep their neck from snapping backward in a sudden fall arrest with a
> chest ring unless you are lucky enough to fall vertically, but most of
> the time you are going to lose your grip and fall backward.

That's why the ring is on the back and with the proper equipment, it's a
"soft" fall.

http://www.toughweld.com/products/1929-internal-6-shock-absorbing-lanyard-w-end-rebar-hook

As I posted yesterday, been there, done it. The school had us step off
the tower (Rohn 45, all of 30 feet) and get a feel for the lanyard.

You drop straight down with no head bob.

You do a little bungee bounce and you're less than arms reach from the
tower.