Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 15 meter yagi height for 6000 miles
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 07:26:17 -0500 (EST)
I will second that.

I have 24 acres here and am in the process of finishing off  construction
of a big contest station with three rotating towers.  Where I  placed those
towers and which bands were represented on those towers made a  big
difference.  Of course there were tradeoffs, there always are.   However, the
decisions can be made with solid info and not  guesswork.

In KH6, as I mentioned in previous posts, the success was to a  large
degree the result of the HFTA.  I had a 150 foot tower and logic  would lead
you
to believe that working a long distance to EU would require  putting a
triband stack at a height greater than 95 feet, that was not the  case.
Because
I had a huge dropoff the optimum height for the stack  for 20 was around 95.
 However, since I worked many US stations  that was too high.  Compromise:
92 feet.  I swear by HFTA.   it allowed me to win several world
championships  in major contests in four  years on the big rock.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS

 In a message dated 3/3/2012 9:10:59 A.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
jim@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On  3/3/2012 12:59 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> You may not have the resources to  raise or lower the antennas, but tools
> like HFTA are very useful for  assessing trade-offs and making
> cost/benefit  choices.

Absolutely.  I'm a member of a serious contesting club,  and many of our
members, including me, have used HFTA extensively to  decide where to put
our antennas. Those who have done so find excellent  correlation between
HFTA's predictions and our on-the-air  results.

73, Jim  K9YC