Re: [TowerTalk] tool to retrieve data and build HFTA profiles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tool to retrieve data and build HFTA profiles
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:59:37 -0800
On 3/5/12 9:34 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Since I manually generate my own files I just jump to the next distance
> that represents a noticeable difference in height.  HFTA simply assumes
> a linear incline/decline between data points so instead of creating data
> pairs (distance, terrain height) for fixed increments of distance I
> create data pairs for roughly fixed increments of height (although I
> generally use finer increments within a few wavelengths of the tower).
> I've never hit the 150 data point limit that way so I didn't even know
> that it existed.

i was thinking that once I run a profile to the edge of the dataset, I
could go through and "prune" it with some simple algorithm. Obviously,
you could eliminate ticks that vary less than some delta.  If someone
has a clever way, you could try to fit straight lines to "collections"
of points and replace them with the endpoints. But that's getting pretty
fancy..

I'll be happy when I can just retrieve the files and generate the
profiles in ANY form.