[TowerTalk] more pulling cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more pulling cables
From: "Steve K7AWB" <k7awbgoog@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:35:44 -0800
This April, I will install my conduit and pull the cables to the existing towers. From the shack
wall, its about 100 feet to Tower #1 and an additional 130 feet to Tower #2.
I live on 20 acres.

The cables to Tower #1 will terminate in a steel enclosure at the bottom of
that tower.  Also, the cables to the far Tower #2 will terminate in a steel
enclosure at the base of Tower #1 and then continue to Tower #2 in their conduit.
I probably will use three of the 4" PVC conduits for all the cables
to get to Tower #1.  One will contain the cables for Tower #1 use; another
for Tower #2 use; and the third for future projects in the back field. Then
one additional conduit goes from Tower #1 to Tower #2. Ands one additional goes in another
direction also from Tower #1 for future area in the back field.

I figure to glue and bury the conduit in the ground first and put sand,
dirt, & rock on top of it so pulling cables will not pull the conduit out of the
ground rather that gluing each section, one at a time, around the cables.

Is burying the conduit before pulling a good idea like I suggest? After all,
once it is buried, it is impossible to remove it economically.  I will use
sand to create a smooth bottom for the conduits to rest on and then cover
them with dirt.  Its all fractured basalt out there, but the back hoe that
was used managed to make the trenches. The trenches are about 24" deep or
so.

I know this has been discussed before, but I still have not decided on
drilling or not a few water holes in the bottom every so often, or at least
at the lowest spots, to drain water from condensation.  Holes bring bugs
which  may or may not matter.  I don't want a small hole to become an
enlarged entrance hole for a Vole which I have out there.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Steve Sala
K7AWB
DN17es