[TowerTalk] Installing a mast..same thread, different name

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing a mast..same thread, different name
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 08:21:06 -0700
I keep seeing references to not being able to install 20 ft mast with a gin pole.

My question becomes...Why not. With a long enough gin pole and care it should be easily accomplished.

First, the balance point is 10 feet from the end of the mast. It's not too difficult to raise the mast from the balance point if two tag lines are used. I prefer to attach just a foot above.

Second: Where are you mounting the pole?
It's typically on one leg of the tower, or on the face. If it's a clamp on don't mount it above the last cross brace. That tower leg has very little strength by itself and can easily be broken off.

So, let's say we have the top of the mount about 8" below the top of the tower. It does have to clear the flat top plate which most of them do and I'd add another 4" for the thrust bearing.

Lets say the pole extends 2 feet into the mount. It's 3 feet for some using a double mount.

that means we have 2 feet + 8" +4"
+10 feet. or a 13' pole to raise a 20' mast at the balance point.
OR 14' for the one requiring 3' into the mount.
To raise a foot above the balance point would make it either 14 or 15 feet.
Measure your mounts for exact distances.

Trying to place the mount higher, or extend the mast higher *MAY* get you a few more inches, but at the cost of safety.

If you have the mount(s) and the pole is not long enough, purchase a pole that is. It may be a few bucks, but will save a lot of effort, grief, and frustration. Of course get a good, strong alloy.

73

Roger (K8RI)