Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 00:36:54 -0400
On 7/30/2013 10:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 7/30/2013 7:46 PM, Jim in Waco wb5oxq wrote:
When choosing a height for a beam is 1/4 wave above ground at the
lowest frequency enough?  1/2 wave?  I see Force 12 rating the gain on
their beams at 74'1".

The best answers to your question are in the ARRL Antenna Book. It's a
real bargain, especially because it includes a CD with a starter version
of NEC, a nice program that computes loss in transmission lines, a Yagi
modeling program, and HFTA, which helps answer the question you just asked.

Some time ago, there was an article in QST addressing antenna height Vs distance, band, and band conditions. It showed sarcastically how often an antenna for a specific band at various heights would be best for specific distances. It was a very well done study and "I think" with in the last year or two.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Jim K9YC